That dog is me.
That dog is me.
I really recommend reading the entire article. Trigger warning for discussion of rape and rape culture - it’s a tough article but very important.
(Thanks to byunbbi for submitting)
I think this quote also really captures what is happening when one is reported so much more than the other in American media:
“24,000 rapes in one year. That’s an epidemic. Brutal gang rape. Police doing nothing to protect or prosecute. Culture of rape. But something like that would never happen here in America, right? India is dirty and dangerous and overcrowded and backwards and misogynistic and this is just a third world problem, right? A really sad problem, but it would never happen here, right?”
It creates another false dichotomy where “we” feel bad for “them” that they have to live in those “conditions.” Definitely both situations are in need of address, but it’s worth examining why media leaps on framing India and its sexual assault issues as if they are a world different from ours- as if “our people” /culture really act better or respect women and victims more (they don’t.)
24,000 in a population of a billion vs 188,000 out of 300 million?
it’s way easier to dehumanize poc culture and portray it as being primitive and backwards than to analyze the structure of misogyny and rape culture in the so called “developed world”.
Zak Tyler Photography.
9th January 2013
Welcome to MatchWigs’ Reblog Contest Giveaway!
Holla~! How are you peeps lately? We are seeing an increase in you pixies hanging up our reblog banner on your Tumblr lately. Absolutely the best way to up the stakes if you win!
Well, here’s the next contest you have been waitin’ for!
Take part in our weekly reblog contest to win a MatchWigs.com store voucher! Sit tight, ‘cos if you win this, yea’ in for a wild ride!
WHAT YOU WILL WIN:
- $30 matchwigs.com voucher coupon code which can be used to purchase anything in store (shipping is free worldwide!)
- $5 additional voucher to winning entry who happens to be a follower AND inserts our reblog banner on your Tumblr. Instructions here.
- Simply reblog this post to enter!
- Only reblogs count, no likes
- You may reblog only ONCE per user
- This contest will END on FRIDAY DECEMBER 7TH
- The winner will be picked by random number generator
- The winner will be contacted at the end of the contest and if you do not respond within 24 hours after being contacted, a new winner will be picked. So keep those ask boxes open and keep an eye on them!
Good Luck peeps!
Female privilege is getting to claim a headache to avoid sex.
Female oppression is having to claim physical illness to avoid sex because men won’t take a simple fucking “no” for an answer.
Female oppression is men being so entitled that they think being denied sex is oppressive.